[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq-2.18: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1- local interface

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:21:13 +0000

gypsy wrote:

> I am happy to report success.  However, I wish to point out that, even
> though "no-resolv" is set, resolv.conf must nevertheless contain
> "nameserver 127.0.0.1".  Please clarify this in the man page because I
> expected "no-resolv" to totally ignore resolv.conf but it does not.

dnsmasq does ignore resolv.conf, it has to be there for everything else.
I guess the documentation assumes the knowledge that "all the programs
on a system which need a DNS server find it by looking in /etc/resolv.conf"

> For the record, I should also mention that I had to stop axfrdns.  With
> or without "bind-interfaces", dnsmasq "failed to bind listening socket:
> Address already in use".  I believe that's because axfrdns does not bind
> an interface, it binds an IP, which in my setup is never going to work.

To run axfrdns and dnsmasq on the same machine, it must have two
addresses. Yours doesn't, so you can't have both daemons on the same port.

> Thank you VERY much for your assistance.  I cannot tell you how many
> times I have been disappointed, but you restore my faith - in both the
> software and in the support.

No problem.