[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS to respond to all requests

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:49:57 +0000

Harry Newman wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Just getting started with dnsmasq and Linux itself. So if there is a
> solution to my problem I may need a bit of explanation.
>
> I have a simple computer network set up that is not connected to the
> outside world at all. This is for testing purposes only. I would like
> dnsmasq to respond to any dns request with a random response. This
> should appear to be valid but random.
>
> Can this be done with script or setup files or do I have to go in and
> modify the code itself.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help,
>
> Harry

If you add

address=/#/1.2.3.4

to /etc/dnsmasq.conf then dnsmasq will always return 1.2.3.4 to any A
record DNS query which cannot be answered from the hosts file or DHCP
leases. That's not exactly what you asked for, (it's not "any dns
request" and the answer isn't random) but it might be enough for the
testing you want to do.

In case anyone is wondering, this rather strange feature was added to
help people making public wireless access points, which want to
intercept any web page accesses and point them to a registration page
for new users.

HTH

Simon.