[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSmasq periodically slow

kyrre@solution-forge.net kyrre@solution-forge.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:29:32 +0100 (CET)

Hello my name is Kyrre Sjøbæk, and i am running a small network of Linux
workstations and servers.

To provide them with DNS, we use DNSMASQ running on a Debian box (together
with LDAP and NFS), which provides exactly what we need - a ligthning fast
DNS server that is really easy to configure, and in which we can add local
dns entries easily.

Now, sometimes the server isn't that fast - it takes maybe 10 secounds to
get an DNS answer from the server, but if you SSH in, lookup *on* the box
is fast.  Lookups from the "outside" to localy defined (/etc/hosts) hosts
are also fast.

This occurs on a irregular interval, so every time i get around to really
debug it, the problem is gone...

Have anyone else experienced this problem before? I have really no idea
whats wrong...

Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk