[Dnsmasq-discuss] 2 subnets, bridged

Scott Merrill skippy@skippy.net
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:27:09 -0500 (EST)

I'm a happy dnsmasq user now looking to step into more advanced
configurations.  Rather than buy a Linksys WRT54G and use custom
firmware, I'd like to configure my (routing) multi-homed LEAF/Bering
PC to instead bridge my wired and wireless segments.

I'd like to assign each side of the bridge a seperate portion of the
total bridged address space.  Can I do this with dnsmasq?

My (possibly naive) hope is that I can construct Shorewall zones for
each side of the bridge to construct per-zone firewall rules while
still allowing wired and wireless nodes to communicate without
restriction (mostly to play games that rely on broadcast UDP for
discovering partners =3D).

I _think_ I'll want to assign IP addresses to each interface on my
router, and run two instances of dnsmasq to respond to incoming
queries on each interface.  Then configure dnsmasq to hand out DHCP
addresses with the _bridge_ address as the default gateway.

Before I start down a possible dead-end, can anyone offer guidance /
suggestions?

Cheers,
Scott

--=20