[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: Recursive warning ...

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:41 +0000

C.Lee Taylor wrote:

>     That is why I was asking for more levels of reporting, with more
> info in the reports, so that I could try and track down why a query is
> freaking out.  If I knew what the query was and where it came from, I
> might be able to figure why it's happening ...

There's a really great tool for getting a handle on this sort of stuff
without adding lots of logging to every daemon: ethereal. Define the
capture filter to only grab DNS (port 53) traffic and then use the
display filters to find the packets that are showing the problems. You
can then see as much detail as you need. I've used it lots and it's
really handy.

For the recursive warning stuff, I've made the following changes:

1) No longer throw away replies which trigger the recursive warning,
instead log them and use them as normal.

2) Only log a warning once per nameserver unless log-query mode is in
effect.

Let me know if you'd like a copy of the latest test code.