[Dnsmasq-discuss] question about limits of dnsmasg

Eric S. Johansson esj@harvee.org
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:15:54 -0500

Peter Willis wrote:
> Yes, it will work, almost exactly as you descibe actually (though there
> are better ways of going about it using a file separate from
> /etc/hosts). Read the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file for examples and further
> detail. (There is even an example that changes all domains matching
> doubleclick.net to 127.0.0.1, which when combined with apache and
> virtual hosting makes for a very simple yet effective ad blocker)

thank you for the advice.  I am now using a separate files contain all
my local host names as you suggest.  I think I know the answer to this
but I want to make sure.  The machine running dnsmasq does not know
about all my private names.  It instead returns addresses on the outside
instead of internal addresses.  This is rational because it's using
resolv.conf which is pointing at external name servers.

It seems to me that in order to get the behavior I want, I will need to
tell dnsmasq to not use resolve.conf but instead use name servers
specified by server.  then I can have resolv.conf pointed at local host.

correct?

---eric
--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.