[Dnsmasq-discuss] Unable to resolve hostnames after some time

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:41:37 +0100

Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>
>>I'm running into some sort of odd issue: After booting a client, I'm
>>able to resolve its IP from another client with no trouble. But if I
>>wait overnight, the next day I can't resolve its IP anymore.
>

> I have a feeling that the kernel's DHCP client doesn't know how to
> renew, so I'm pursuing that.

Indeed, the kernel client is intended to get an IP address,netmask and
default route early enough in the boot process to do
root-filesystem-over-NFS. It is necessary to run a normal user-space
DHCP daemon once the machine is up. I've not tried all the clients, but
dhcpcd at least will smoothly take-over the existing kernel-aquired
lease in this situation.