[Dnsmasq-discuss] [FEAT.REQ] Further localisation of --localise-queries

Luca Landi me@lucalandi.com
Tue, 3 May 2005 15:22:16 +0200

Alex Hermann ha scritto:
> Luca Landi wrote:
> > Basically the whole thing shoud look like this:
> >
> > dnsmasq -a 192.168.1.1 -H /etc/hosts1 -h -F
<your-DHCP-range-of-addresses>
> > dnsmasq -a 192.168.1.2 -H /etc/hosts2 -h
> > dnsmasq -a 192.168.1.3 -H /etc/hosts3 -h
>
> That would need a separate instance for the DHCP service, otherwise it
> will only listen on one interface.

Good point, but I'm afraid it's not actually possible to disable dnsmasq's
DNS functionalities completely. In that case the only way would be to force
the fourth instance to listen on a different port ('-p' option).

However, re-thinking about the whole idea, consider using the option
'-i' (and possibly also '-I' to exclude interfaces) instead of '-a' because
that one lets you specify which interfaces to bind to. This should be
better in order to keep the possibility for you to change IP addresses over
time.

> For the common static names, the --addn-hosts option can be used.

Right. An additional -H (--addn-hosts) in common to all instances.

> [...] I need multiple instances of dnsmasq, each having a hosts file of
> over 500kB in memory (ad-server redirects).

Gosh! :-O