[Dnsmasq-discuss] possible bug in dnsmasq 2.22

Jim Faulkner jfaulkne@ccs.neu.edu
Fri, 13 May 2005 11:10:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I think I may have found a problem with dnsmasq 2.22.  I am using the
Gentoo ebuild.

I am always on the lookout for DNS servers that are a small number of hops
away from me.  Currently I have this in my /etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 204.60.0.2
nameserver 204.60.203.179
nameserver 204.60.0.3
nameserver 66.73.20.40
nameserver 204.60.203.190

Last weekend I found another, and added this to /etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 66.10.48.206

After adding that nameserver, dnsmasq would stop resolving hostnames after
being up for a few hours.  Restarting the daemon seemed to be the only way
to get dnsmasq to resolve hostnames again.  This happened at least 4 or 5
times over the course of the weekend, so it was not a rarity.

The problem dissappeared after removing 66.10.48.206 from
/etc/resolv.conf.

The only error messages I saw from dnsmasq was this in my
/var/log/messages:
May  8 06:34:20 gateway dnsmasq[5202]: nameserver 66.10.48.206 refused to
do a recursive query

So it looks like dnsmasq will stop resolving hostnames when one of the DNS
servers is bad.

thanks,
Jim Faulkner