[Dnsmasq-discuss] Specifying a per client boot file

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Tue, 24 May 2005 09:54:58 +0100

richard hughes-rowlands wrote:
> I can see how to use the dhcp-boot command to specify the boot image
> to load via tftp. But how do I give different clients different boot
> files/images ?

First, tag the different boot images, like so:

dhcp-boot=net:tag1,filename1,........
dhcp-boot=net:tag2,filename2,......

Then arrange to have the correct tag enabled, depending on which image
you want to use. You can tie the tag to a MAC address, like so:

dhcp-host=net:tag1,11:22:33:44:55:66

or a client-id

dhcp-host=net:tag1,id:myclientid

or a vendor-class sent by the host

dhcp-vendorclass=tag1,stringtomatch

or the IP range from which the address comes (which is a good proxy for
the physical network on which a host sits)

dhcp-range=tag1,192.168.0.1,192.168.0.200

HTH

Simon.