[Dnsmasq-discuss] Interested in event trigger patch

Dan Flett conhoolio@hotmail.com
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 22:44:09 +1000

Hello Quasar, hello list,

I'm interested in the patch that allows dnsmasq to run an external
script/program when an event occurs on a DHCP lease.  I will be
experimenting with autoconfiguring BGP on a community wireless network.  The
patch will allow a client to pass it's BGP ASN as it's Client ID to the
DNSMasq DHCP server - DNSMasq can then trigger a script that parses the
lease file to get the ASN and pass it to the routing program (Quagga).  At
the same time, DNSMasq sends the BGP ASN of the host on which it is running
to the newly-connected client as the "bootfile" option (option 67).  The
client, running udhcpc, runs its own script to obtain the server's ASN
(which it sent as the "bootfile" option) and passes it on to it's own
instance of Quagga.

I am mentioning this on the list in case anyone else is interested and has a
better suggestion as to how to do this.  I'm guessing I have to be careful
about parameter escaping here!

Quasar, please email me your patch. :)

I was just about to ask for this as a feature request, then I did a search
of the archives and saw some fairly convincing arguments against a very
similar proposal.  I like the D-Bus idea, so long as it can fit on a Linksys
WRT54G :).

Cheers,

Dan