[Dnsmasq-discuss] allow duplicate MACs for the same IP?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Aug 22 15:32:20 BST 2005

Sean Dague wrote:
> Is there a way to allow duplicate MAC addresses for the same IP addr in the
> dhcp part of dnsmasq?  I used to do this a lot with ISC dhcpd so that my
> wireless and wired adapters in my laptop got the same IP, so I could switch
> between the 2 and not loose any of my socket connections.
>
> Any help in this arena would be appreciated.

The trick is to use a client-identifier to identify a machine, rather
than its MAC address. If the machine presents the same client-id, it
will be treated as the same machine and get the same IP address,
regardless of any MAC address change. This can even avoid the need to
nail down machines to individual IP addresses, if that's the only reason
you were doing it. I use the hostname as a client-id.

How to specfiy the client-id is a DHCP client issue - check the dnsmasq
FAQ for some hints.

HTH