[Dnsmasq-discuss] Tagging DHCP request (network-id) by the incoming interface - possible?

Daniel Lohmann dl at cs.fau.de
Thu Sep 1 13:39:30 BST 2005

Hi,

I am using dnsmasq on an OpenWRT-based router (DLink-WL500 Deluxe) and I
  am quite sold on both, the simplicity and power of dnsmasq. This is
definitly an excellent peace of software! I especially do like the
network-id system to filter specific client requests.

Which brings me to my question: It is possible to tag a client based on
the network interface on which the request is comming in? If not, is
this considered as a feature for upcoming versions?

Here is what I am trying to attempt: On my router, I have two interfaces
   (let's call them "lan" and "wifi"), which are briged together to a
third interface ("bridge"). Currently dnsmasq listens on the bridge
interface, therefore serves both, wireless (wifi) and wired (lan)
clients in the same manner.

I would like to handle wifi clients differently. For instance, IPs
should only be delivered to well-known  wifi hosts (using dhcp-host),
while unknown lan clients should simply get an address from the
dhcp-range pool.
The usual approach for such scenario is to use different subnets for lan
and wifi. This, however, is *not* possible in my case. For certain
reasons, I do not want to break the bridge; wifi and lan should still
reside in the same subnet. (Actually, dnsmasq is the only service that
should be able to distinguish between lan and wifi clients).

Therefore I am looking for something like:

interface=lan,lan-id      # tag lan clients with lan-id
interface=wifi,wifi-id    # tag wifi clients with wifi-id
dhcp-range=net:lan-id,<range options for lan clients>
dhcp-ragne=net:wifi-id,<range options for wifi clients>

Any idea how to achive something like this? Other opinions?
Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Daniel