[Dnsmasq-discuss] Resolution with resolv.conf

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Oct 2 19:53:49 BST 2005

Marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if 'dnsmasq' use the 'search' key in resolv.conf to
> extend the dns resolution ...

It doesn't. That would involve sending more than one query to the
upstream nameservers for each received query, which is difficult to do.

> I'm using dnsmasq in a subnet but I'd like to access other hosts
> "outside" without typing the entire domain name...
> (because the 'dnsmasq' host is also a router)

If your hosts were running Unix/Linux, I would suggest just putting the
relevant domains into /etc/resolv.conf on each host, then the host will
do the correct queries. Since they are running Windows, you will have to
do the Windows equivalent. I'm pretty sure it exists.