[Dnsmasq-discuss] Possible bug setting dhcp-option 17

Michael Welle m.welle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 10 21:36:19 BST 2005

Hi,

Simon Kelley wrote:

> Michael Welle wrote:
>
> > no, this is the only option. Plus the default options set by
> > dnsmasq.
> >

> > You mean option 57 max msg size?
>
> Yep.
> Hm, the current packet size seems to
> > be 328 byte. How is it calculated?
>
> It's set to be the minimum size mandated by the DHCP spec, which is 576
> bytes, HOWEVER, if BOOTP is in use rather than DHCP, then the "vendor
> oprions" field is only 64 bytes, according to to RFC 951, so the maximum
> packet size is reduced to 328 (rest of packet + 64 byte option
> field)
Ok.

> Are you using BOOTP? If so, then that explains things. Can you use DHCP
> instead? (BYW the option 57 stuff is not specified for BOOTP, so that
> wouldn't help.)
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I guess my problem is solved now
(and I should have a closer look at the relevant rfc). Maybe you can
write a warning into the logs in such a case? I find it a little bit
confusing to set an option in the conf file and see it silently
disappearing on its way to the client ;).

Thank you
Michael