[Dnsmasq-discuss] Weird Routing/FW/dnsmasq problem

Dan Shechter DanS at GoNetworks.com
Mon Oct 31 14:42:18 GMT 2005

Again, this is pretty much what I've seen as well.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 as a client.

The exact situation is that when the XP machine is
Connected/disconnected from net A -> B WITHIN 10 seconds,
it performs the sequence of events described in my previous e-mail...

If the disconnection is for MORE than about 10 seconds,
The DHCP request is from address 0.0.0.0 which of course, succeeds,
almost immediately.

The unpleasant part is that these scenarios happen much too often in
wireless roaming environments, which is where I'm at... :(

The unfortunate bit of Microsoft's client behaviour, is that it resends
the same request 3 times, displays an annoying, "Network is lost"
balloon popup, and only then issues a discover from 0.0.0.0 which
succeeds, 40 seconds after it "appeared" on network B.

All of my attempts to somehow propagate the packet through Linux, using
any combination of iptables / -j MARK / iproute2 packages have failed
insofar.

	Shechter.

ACCEPT