[Dnsmasq-discuss] failed to bind listening socket: Address already in use

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Nov 11 21:52:53 GMT 2005

Jason Gauthier wrote:
> Hi.
> I've set up dnsmasq with
>

>     domain-needed
>     expand-hosts
>     bogus-priv
>
>     interface=eth0
>     domain=universite-projet
>     cache-size=256
>

> and my /etc/hosts file looks like
>

>     ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>     2001::1 debiansrv.universite-projet debiansrv
>     2001::2 win2k3srv.universite-projet win2k3srv
>

> And when I start dnsmasq, I get an error saying "failed to bind
> listening socket: Address already in use".
> What's the problem?

Another DNS server running on your machine, and binding port 53?

Check the output of "netstat -ap" for servers listening on the "domain"
port.

Note: if your plan is to have dnsmasq listening on eth0 and another DNS
server listening on other interfaces, then you need to add
"bind-interfaces" to /etc/dnsmasq.conf. See the FAQ for details on this.

HTH