[Dnsmasq-discuss] Help me please! Multiple IPs on one interface - not working

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 20:11:31 GMT 2005

Sorin Panca wrote:
> I already sent a message on this topic with my problem. If anyone have
> had similar problems (and could resolve them) I wait to hear.
> dnsmasq is the perfect tool for what I need here and if i have to
> replace it I would have to use 3 other programs: ISC dhcpd, ISC bind and
> squid.

And you were asked for copies of /etc/hosts, /etc/ethers and
/etc/dnsmasq.conf which show this behaviour. That information will make
diagnosing the problem much easier.

> But it doesn't work with multiple IPs on the same interface. In the
> make a note:
> Q: Is the support for multiple IPs in programs dependant of the low
> level driver for the NIC used? If other programs work well with multiple
> IPs on the same interfaces, does dnsmasq need to work too?

No, it doesn't depend on the driver. It does depend on the presence in
the kernel of the RTnetlink facility, which is always available in 2.4
and 2.6 linux kernels, but has to be specifically enabled in 2.2 Linux
kernels. That means, also, that multiple IP-address support is not
available under other OS's, for example FreeBSD.