[Dnsmasq-discuss] occasional REFUSED response after successful query

Holger Schletz holger.schletz at web.de
Sat Nov 19 18:00:30 GMT 2005

Hi,

> The reason why it happens like this is partly  just history and inertia,
> partly because I didn't want to risk the original requestor getting no
> response at all, (and suffering a long timeout) when upstream servers
> are returning error codes. However, this isn't the first time this has
> been reported as a bug (see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=330422), and from the
> next release the behaviuor will change. Now, if a query gets send to n
> servers, the first n-1 error replies will be dropped, and only the last
> one returned to the original requestor. That means that if some upstream
> servers are erroring, but some are working, then the query will still
> suceed.

I already read this one, but did't realize this was the same issue... I never
checked the upstream servers extensively. I just assumed they were working as
I never had problems with the old configuration.

> I plan to release version 2.24, which has this change, fairly soon and
> I'm happy to make the current development snapshot available to anyone
> who wants to try it.
>
> Holger, to fix your problem I suggest either weeding out the broken
> nameserver (though experience shows that by now, it's probably working
> again!), or risking the 2.24 beta.

I don't like to run out-of distro software unless I have to. I'll check the
upstream servers and hope that I find the evil one.

Thanks!
Holger