[Dnsmasq-discuss] dns resolving for static ips?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 13:02:38 GMT 2005

Jens Holze wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been using dnsmasq for some time at home and at work but there's
> one thing I recently tried and wondered whether it is possible at all.
>
> dnsmasq can resolve any host it has served with an ip via dhcp. But
> can I even have hosts resolved that have a static ip and don't use
> dhcp? I have one host (it's a virtual server) in my /etc/hosts with
> static ip (dhcp is not usable because the virtual relies on the hard
> ip) but it is not resolved by dnsmasq. And I don't want to setup bind
> for this. Could I add the server to the leases file manually (very
> dirty I know)?
>
> What do I have to do?

Just leave it in /etc/hosts on the server.

Dnsmasq reads /etc/hosts and serves the addresses it
finds there over DNS.

Since you say that it's already in /etc/hosts (presumably on all your
machines) you should find it's already resolvable by DNS: you can just
throw away the hosts entries everywhere except on the server running
dnsmasq.