[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq returning own IP when it can't resolve

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Dec 7 07:50:02 GMT 2005

Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Is it the normal behavior for dnsmasq to return the IP of the box that
> it's running on when it can't resolve a domain name? I'm seeing this
> behavior in a pretty much default dnsmasq setup. Is there a way to turn
> this off?

It's not normal behaviour at all, it will return a NXDOMAIN or NODATA
reply under those circumstances. Are you sure that you are not being
confused by the output of the nslookup command, which prints the address
of the server it used first?

desk:~# nslookup noname.nodomain
Server:         192.168.0.4
Address:        192.168.0.4#53

** server can't find noname.nodomain: NXDOMAIN