[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq returning own IP when it can't resolve

Andrew Gaffney agaffney at gentoo.org
Wed Dec 7 13:00:21 GMT 2005

Simon Kelley wrote:
> Andrew Gaffney wrote:
>
>> Is it the normal behavior for dnsmasq to return the IP of the box that
>> it's running on when it can't resolve a domain name? I'm seeing this
>> behavior in a pretty much default dnsmasq setup. Is there a way to
>> turn this off?
>
> It's not normal behaviour at all, it will return a NXDOMAIN or NODATA
> reply under those circumstances. Are you sure that you are not being
> confused by the output of the nslookup command, which prints the address
> of the server it used first?
>

> desk:~# nslookup noname.nodomain
> Server:         192.168.0.4
> Address:        192.168.0.4#53
>
> ** server can't find noname.nodomain: NXDOMAIN

I'm not quite sure what's happening. When I use nslookup or dig, I get a proper
response. When I type in a non-existant domain name in Firefox (Linux and
Windows) or IE, I end up redirected to the domain that is being hosted on the
same server that dnsmasq is running on.

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project