[Dnsmasq-discuss] Local DHCP client resolves to wrong IP address

Loye Young iycctech at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 00:00:09 GMT 2005

Buenas dias a ustedes. Howdy y'all.  Company HQ is in Arkansas. Authoritative DNS server is 192.168.1.10.   Location in Laredo Texas is connected via Frame Relay to subnet 192.168.40.0.
Local server LAREDO5 has static IP of 192.168.40.252. Debian running dnsmasq,
samba, and resolvconf, among others.  DHCP is authoritative for subnet. DNS
is non-authoritative resolver cacher server for subnet, looking to 192.168.1.10
for upstream DNS server. WINS and NTP servers also on the same box. dnsmasq
assigns LAREDO5 as DNS, WINS, and NTP server. Gateway (a Cisco
voice-over-frame-relay enabled router) is 192.168.40.1. Dynamic range is
-.150 to -.250.  DHCP client is LAREDO8. dnsmasq assigns IP address 192.168.40.250. No other
machine in domain has conflicting IP address or machine name.
PING 192.168.40.250 is unremarkable.  Here's the rub: PING LAREDO8 from any client in the subnet resolves to
192.168.40.154 and returns "Destination Host Unreachable".  (I don't know what
the results are from other subnets in the domain.)  PING to all other clients yields normally expected results.  Licenses file looks normal for all clients, except that the hostname for
192.168.40.250 shows asterisks. Neither LAREDO8 nor 192.168.40.154 show up in
the list.  Noob that I am, I am confident that I have made a mistake in configuration, but
I've scoured carefully all documentation I can find and come up empty.  Happy trails for now,  Loye Young