[Dnsmasq-discuss] Local DHCP client resolves to wrong IP address

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Dec 19 11:58:38 GMT 2005

Loye Young wrote:

> Buenas dias a ustedes. Howdy y'all.  Company HQ is in Arkansas.
> Authoritative DNS server is 192.168.1.10.   Location in Laredo Texas
> is connected via Frame Relay to subnet 192.168.40.0. Local server
> LAREDO5 has static IP of 192.168.40.252. Debian running dnsmasq,
> samba, and resolvconf, among others.  DHCP is authoritative for
> subnet. DNS is non-authoritative resolver cacher server for subnet,
> looking to 192.168.1.10 for upstream DNS server. WINS and NTP servers
> also on the same box. dnsmasq assigns LAREDO5 as DNS, WINS, and NTP
> server. Gateway (a Cisco voice-over-frame-relay enabled router) is
> 192.168.40.1. Dynamic range is -.150 to -.250.  DHCP client is
> LAREDO8. dnsmasq assigns IP address 192.168.40.250. No other machine
> in domain has conflicting IP address or machine name. PING
> 192.168.40.250 is unremarkable.  Here's the rub: PING LAREDO8 from
> any client in the subnet resolves to 192.168.40.154 and returns
> "Destination Host Unreachable".  (I don't know what the results are
> from other subnets in the domain.)  PING to all other clients yields
> normally expected results.  Licenses file looks normal for all
> clients, except that the hostname for 192.168.40.250 shows asterisks.
> Neither LAREDO8 nor 192.168.40.154 show up in the list.  Noob that I
> am, I am confident that I have made a mistake in configuration, but
> I've scoured carefully all documentation I can find and come up
> empty.  Happy trails for now,  Loye Young

First thing to do, is turn on DNS query logging in dnsmasq, that will
tell you the source of the spurious addfress for LAREDO8. The simplest
explanation for what you are seeing is that LARED8 and 192.168.40.154
exist in /etc/hosts on the machine running dnsmasq, but checking the log
will tell you for sure.