[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq stops working after changing from ppp to dhcp

Dave Page grimoire at sparky.ox.compsoc.net
Tue Dec 20 12:06:07 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 03:12:47PM +0800, Chris Purves wrote:

> I would like to add that /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf does correctly
> show the dns servers:

> nameserver 219.233.241.166
> nameserver 211.167.97.67
> nameserver 211.167.97.68

> However, the first nameserver does not work.  If I try to ping it from
> the computer connected directly to the internet I get no response.

It seems that there's a problem with your ISP, but this shouldn't be too
much of a problem; I'd *expect* dnsmasq to figure out that the first
server is broken and use the others, but don't hold me to that.

Other options revolve around /etc/dhclient.conf which is the
configuration file for the DHCP client which is getting these nameserver
addresses. It may be possible to configure the client to ignore the
first nameserver, or you can just hardcode in the other two IPs (though
this will cause breakage if your ISP changes nameserver IPs).

Or you can just hardcode the working IPs in the dnsmasq configuration,
of course.

Dave
--
Dave Page <grimoire at sparky.ox.compsoc.net>