[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq stops working after changing from ppp to dhcp

Chris Purves chris at northfolk.ca
Mon Dec 26 08:57:58 GMT 2005

Simon Kelley wrote:
> Chris Purves wrote:
>

>> Yes, this appeared to be the problem.  When dnsmasq wasn't working I
>> would
>> get the following in syslog:
>>
>> Dec 22 20:00:11 aurora dnsmasq[1839]: nameserver 211.167.97.68 refused to
>> do a recursive query
>>
> <snip FAQ>
>
>> By removing the server that does not allow recursive queries from
>> /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf, the problem is fixed.  So, I guess I will
>> have to manage the nameservers myself.  What I don't understand is why
>> dnsmasq doesn't try the next nameserver instead of stopping.
>>

> The "recursive query" message is just a warning, because there are
> situations when it's legitimate to forward to a non-recursive
> nameserver. (for instance, forwarding all queries for a domain directly
> to the authoritative nameserver for that domain). If dnsmasq threw away
> such results then that would break valid configurations.

I didn't like the idea of handling the resolv.conf file manually, and as
you said, it is legitimate to have a non-recursive nameserver.  I was
able to get everything to work in the end by setting:

strict-order

in /etc/dnsmasq.conf.  Since the problem server was the last in the
list, it would only be queried if the first two failed.  I guess my ISP
and the dnsmasq authors are smarter than I thought. :-)

So everything works as it should now, and if my ISP changes nameservers
I won't have to change my setup.

--
Good day, eh.
Chris