[Dnsmasq-discuss] Does dhcp work with no range defined?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Dec 29 10:02:56 GMT 2005

> Hello!
> I use dnsmasq for dhcp in my home network. In the example file it
> states that "you need to specify dhcp-range for every dhcp served
> network". I don't want to configure stations that are unknown (ISC
> dhcpd's "deny unknown-hosts"); so: would dnsmasq function properly
> with hosts configured in /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers but without
> dhcp-range? Or, for that matter, only with dhcp-host but without
> dhcp-range statements in dnsmasq.conf?
>
> Thank you in advance for your replies!

There has to be a dhcp-range. If it isn't there, then the DHCP service is
not enabled. There is a special version of the dhcp-range option which
does what you want

dhcp-range=192.168.0.0,static

will enable dhcp on the 192.168 network, but only for configured hosts,
exactly equivalent to ISCs "deny unknown hosts"