[Dnsmasq-discuss] wpad and DNS ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Wed Jan 11 08:20:42 GMT 2006

Greetings ...

	Thanks for your quick reply ...

Simon Kelley wrote:
> C.Lee Taylor wrote:
>>     I'm looking at using automatic proxy setup, hoping to use SRV and
>> TXT records, but I don't really understand either.
>>
>>     At http://www.wlug.org.nz/WPAD it says add the following ...
>>
>> $ORIGIN host.co.nz.
>>  wpad            IN      A       192.168.0.254
>>                  IN      TXT     "service:
>> wpad:!http://wpad.host.co.nz:80/proxy.pac"
>>  wpad.tcp        IN      SRV     0 0 80 wpad.host.co.nz.
>>
>>     But I don't know how to tell dnsmasq what is what, it looks
>> totally different to the examples in the dnsmasq.conf, could I ask
>> somebody to help me with this.

> The SRV and TXT records are different ways to achieve the same thing,
> you shouldn't need both.
	Agreed, but to cover all bases, I think I will put both in, I dought
that till will cause any problems.

> You can achieve the TXT record like this,
> txt-record=host.co.nz,"service:wpad:!http://wpad.host.co.nz:80/proxy.pac"

> and the SRV record like this:
> srv-host=wpad.tcp.host.co.nz,wpad.host.co.nz,80

> (the priority and weight will default to zero.)
	Okay ...

> Note that I think your reference is wrong: The service and protocol
> fields ought to have leading underscores This comes from RFC 2782. In
> that case you need
>
> srv-host=_wpad._tcp.host.co.nz,wpad.host.co.nz,80
	Agreed, but in
http://www.web-cache.com/Writings/Internet-Drafts/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt

	On page 10, I think it is, 4.4.4, DNS SRV, they explain that the client
should issue a DNS lookup with QNAME=wpad.tcp.TGTDOM., QCLASS=IN,
QTYPE=SRV ...

	I know I found a newer version of the document, but can't now, so I
will put both SRV records in, again, I don't think it could hurt ...

	Maybe, this could be put into the examples, so that this question does
not come up again, not that I really have seen any questions on the net
about WPAD (Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Protocol), and I'm just messing
around with this in our office so that I better understand this.

	Thanks for, dnsmasq and all the support.

	Now if I could just get dnsmasq to log to file, I could track down the
dns queries just to make sure they are been made. ;-)

Mailed
Lee