[Dnsmasq-discuss] how to push static routes to DHCP clients

Jochen Schulz ml at well-adjusted.de
Sun Jan 15 20:59:35 GMT 2006

Simon Kelley:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>
>> dhcp-option=wifi,33,172.16.27.2,192.168.1.1
>
> Your configuration looks fine, and should work. The problem is almost
> certainly with your DHCP client, not the server.

You are correct. When I add 'static-routes' to the 'request' stanza in
my dhclient.conf, I receive the route.

> What client are  you using? The ISC dhclient  can be configured to
> request an option in dhclient.conf, and I guess the host-configuratoin
> script would need to be modified to get the value of the option and run
> the correct "route add" command.

Correct. I found out that you can write custom scripts which dhclient
executes at certain points if operation. I created the file
/etc/dhclient-exit-hooks which contains this:

if [ $reason == "BOUND" ] || [ $reason == "REBOOT" ]
then
        host=$(echo $new_static_routes | awk '{ print $1 }')
        gw=$(echo $new_static_routes | awk '{ print $2 }')
        route add -host $host gw $gw
fi

dhclient executes this after getting a lease and apparently it works in
my case. Of course it's not well tested and I am a poor shell
programmer.

Thanks a lot, Simon. Not only for developing and maintaining dnsmasq,
but also for your prompt support.

J.
--
In idle moments I remember former lovers with sentimental tenderness.
[Agree]   [Disagree]