[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq as master to bind as slave

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Jan 19 21:30:01 GMT 2006

Simon Kelley wrote:
> Richard Bailey wrote:
>> Hello this is just for experimenting purposes, I have dnsmasq running in
>> IPCop and working well. I was trying to set up bind9 as a slave for my local
>> lan domain with the dnsmasq as the master but I get the following error:

> The former:  I'm guessing the bind is attempting to do a zone transfer,
> which dnsmasq knows nothing about. It will just proxy it to an upstream
> server, which doesn't know about the zone either, and returns REFUSED.
>
> This is a long way from dnsmasq's intended use, I don't intend to change
> the situation.

(I probably shouldn't admit this but I was one of the early IPCop
developers (version 1 .2)).

I'm using DNSMasq here for my internal LAN domain as well as a few zones
and resolving external addresses.  It's a little clumsy but it generally
works well.

I'd be interested in hearing Richard why you're having troubles and what
you are trying to do.

---eric