[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq as master to bind as slave

Richard Bailey rmjb at mail.com
Fri Jan 20 12:18:52 GMT 2006

Well it was purely for experimenting purposes. In the DHCP configuration for
IPCop there's the option for a Secondary DNS server. I have a file server
running Debian so I thought I'd set up bind9 on it to act as a secondary
server with the dnsmasq on IPCop as the primary, since it dynamically adds
the DHCP clients to the DNS table. From my understanding on how this
Secondary DNS is supposed to work, the secondary server will have to do a
zone transfer for my internal lan domain, then it can forward and cache
requests for all other domains to my ISP's DNS servers, which is how I was
trying to set it up. But when bind tried to do the zone transfer for the
home.lan domain from IPCop it got the errors.

But as Simon stated dnsmasq was not intended to work like this so I'll give
up on my experiment, it's not something that was needed just something I was
trying.

However, now that I think about it, if IPCop has the option for a secondary
DNS there should be some way to set one up, or the option should be
removed...

- Richard

--
Reporter: What is your opinion on the obesity problem?
King: I prefer it to the famine problem