[Dnsmasq-discuss] Administrivia

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Feb 20 15:14:12 GMT 2006

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Simon Kelley wrote:
>
>>Unless anybody objects, I plan to change the default "Reply-to" header
>>on the list to be the list address.
>>
>>It seems that many people hate this, but the existing arrangement means
>>that to reply to the list, rather than just the original poster, one has
>>to hit "reply-all" and then the original poster gets two copies of the
>>reply: one via the list and one direct.
>>
>>As I'm the most frequent poster to the list, that means I get lots of
>>duplicate replies. But as I'm the admin, I can do something about it!
>

> if you are running a modern copy of mailman, your problems would be
> solved.  It will eliminate the duplicate address by not sending anyone a
> copy of a message via the mailing list if they are on the to/cc list.
> with a current copy of mailman, you can maintain the proper setup for
> the mailing list (reply to sender) and people can continue to use the
> current e-mail clients with a broken user interface (no reply to mailing
> list, only reply all).
>
> yes, I know it's more work but it's the right thing to do.

Well, poking around, it looks like the current version (in Debian Sarge)
is young enough to this. How embarassing! My excuse is that my account
has been upgraded from the old version on Debian Woody, so I never saw
that option.

I've selected "nodupes" for myself, and switched "reply-to list" off
again, so we'll see how that goes.