[Dnsmasq-discuss] problem with dnsmasq and pxe boot

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Mar 22 09:19:07 GMT 2006

tat at riseup.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I try to configure dnsmasq to send information to PXEClients,
> so far it hasn't worked.
>
> I have set up a dhcp3d on a other debian box, this serves the PXEClients
> without problem, than i run ethereal and captired the dhcp REQUEST
> and RESPONSE from both hosts, the packets i captured don't really differ.
> I also checked if the PXEClient actually requests the tftpd for the boot
> file, it is not ( ofcourse it does when run with dhcp3d, just nut when i
> use dnsmasq ).
>
> Any idea what i could do wrong?

There exist buggy PXE clients which only work if the tftp server is at
the same address as the DHCP server. From your packet dumps, it looks
like that's true when you use dhcp3, and not true when you use dnsmasq.
I'd bet that's your problem. Run dhcp server and tftp server on the same
box, and it will work.