[Dnsmasq-discuss] reply /etc/hosts entry matching to interface

Joerg Habenicht j.habenicht at gmx.de
Fri Apr 7 09:09:22 BST 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Matt Hull wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Joerg Habenicht wrote:
>
>> The /etc/hosts looks like this:
>> # intern net:
>> 192.168.2.1     minime.mydomain.lan        minime
>> # DMZ net:
>> 192.168.1.1     minime.mydomain.lan        minime
>> 192.168.1.2     jarrel.mydomain.lan        jarrel
>>

> doesnt dnsmasq do the look-ups on the local net that it assigned ip's to ?
> i dont have any ip's like that listed in my etc/host and dnsmasq returns
> the ip of the machine.  why do you have the ip's in ext/host ?

These are the adresses, I give the machines, when querying DHCP.

> also i only have one interface.

I got 2 two of them, and want to keep the name of the central knot the
same for both nets.

>  i was going to separate wired and wireless but just
> kept it on one subnet (using wpa-psk)

Is this better than giving physical distinct nets different subnet
numbers?
I thought with different subnets you keep your routing clear and easy.

> matt

cu
Joerg