[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.31

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat May 6 14:39:51 BST 2006

After a great deal of effort, a problem whcih has been breaking DHCP on
a few systems running dnsmasq versions 2.28 and up has been found. It
turns out to be a Linux kernel bug triggered by the inclusion of
Classical IP over ATM support. I doubt that many people use that, but
quite a few vendor kernels include it (for example many Debian 2.6.x
binary kernel packages.)

Dnsmasq 2.31 contains a workaround for the problem, and restores full
DHCP functionality.

Also in 2.31 is the "run a command when a lease changes" functionality
which has been requested here a few times over the years.

Full changelog:

version 2.31
            Added --dhcp-script option. There have been calls for this
            for a long time from many good people. Fabio Muzzi gets
            the prize for finally convincing me.

            Added example dbus config file and moved dbus stuff into
            its own directory.

            Removed horribly outdated Redhat RPM build files. These
            are obsolete now that dnsmasq in in Fedora extras. Thanks
            to Patrick "Jima" Laughton, the Fedora package
            maintainer.

            Added workaround for Linux kernel bug. This manifests
            itself as failure of DHCP on kernels with "support for
            classical IP over ATM" configured. That includes most
            Debian kernel packages. Many thanks to A. Costa and
            Benjamin Kudria for their huge efforts in chasing this
            down.

            Force-kill child processes when dnsmasq is sent a sigterm,
            otherwise an unclosed TCP connection could keep dnsmasq
            hanging round for a few minutes.

            Tweaked config.h logic for uclibc build. It will now pick
            up MMU and IPV6 status correctly on every system I tested.