[Dnsmasq-discuss] Enforcing IP

Peter Surda surda at shurdix.com
Wed May 17 22:22:18 BST 2006

Hello,

under certain circumstances, which I can't describe precisely yet (faulty
client, packet loss, ...), it may happen that a dhcp client isn't satisfied
with the IP dnsmasq offers. In that case, dnsmasq sometimes offers a lease
with a different IP, even if its config files say that the request with that
specific MAC should get the one originally offered (dhcp-host=blablabla).
What's worse, it remembers the new ip as a valid lease, and "forgets" about
the manual definition.

From what I found out, this isn't a bug in dnsmasq, or more precisely, dnsmasq
doesn't initiate this behaviour. Unfortunately, sometimes the cause isn't
easy to get rid of. Would it be possible to add a new option to dnsmasq, to
insist on a manually defined lease even if for some reason the client isn't
happy with it?

Yours sincerely,
Peter

--