[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq wont start

Michael Ruge michael at winmac.com
Fri May 19 03:45:42 BST 2006

I am having a problem getting Dnsmasq to start with the DHCP server enabled.

It has been running just fine until I moved the server. After that, I am
getting the following error while trying to start it:

dnsmasq: failed to bind DHCP server socket: Address already in use

Dnsmasq runs just fine when I comment out the line of code in the config
file that points to the DHCP config file, just not with the DHCP
enabled. I have not made any custom changes to either config file. They
are the defaults from the original ClarkConnect install.

dnsmasq.conf:

dhcp-authoritative
domain-needed
bogus-priv
filterwin2k
expand-hosts
domain=michaelruge.org
interface=eth1
bind-interfaces
#conf-file=/etc/dnsmasq/dhcp.conf

dhcp.conf:

read-ethers
dhcp-option=eth1,1,255.255.255.0
dhcp-option=eth1,3,192.168.1.1
dhcp-option=eth1,6,192.168.1.1
dhcp-range=eth1,192.168.1.60,192.168.1.70,12h

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Michael Ruge