[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature Requests - logrotate / mysql / pam style config dir and SIGUSR2 to reload config

Aaron Tygart kuffs at ksu.edu
Fri May 19 22:13:48 BST 2006

First off, I've been using dnsmasq for a little while now to manage
the dns/dhcp configuration for the Beocat cluster here at Kansas State
University.  I think it's a very nice bit of code, keeps my management
down to a minimum with its simple configuration directives and
all-in-one dns/dhcp features. So, many thanks to Simon Kelley (and I'm
sure others) for his hard work.

There's two features that I would like to see that would make adding
new nodes and updating configurations a total walk in the park.
  1 - A logrotate / mysql / pam style configuration directory.  I'd
like to see a /etc/dnsmasq.d directory to store configuration info
like the aforementioned programs do.  Presently, I have external files
for keeping different parts of the cluster separate for easier
management.  I would like to not have to put another entry into
/etc/dnsmasq.conf for each separate config file, it would be nice to
just have to put a new file in /etc/dnsmasq.d and it would get picked
up.  I could patch the init script to just read that directory and add
--config-file=$file to the program before it starts, but having this
built-in fits better with my next request.
  2 - SIGUSR2 reloads the configuration file.  Right now, when I want
to make configuration changes, I have to restart the init script,
resulting in a tiny (but bothers me) bit of downtime. I'd like to be
able to send SIGUSR2 and have it reload the configuration.

So there's my requests.  If you know of a better way / think it's too
much work / think these features are useless, don't hesitate to tell
me and I'll figure out something else or just deal with it.

--
Aaron Tygart