[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-host option

Richard Bailey rmjb at mail.com
Mon Jul 31 03:18:21 BST 2006

Hello,

I have dnsmasq running and it's running great. When I had my client machine
as Windows XP the dhcp-host option worked and gave the ip for the host I'd
defined in the /etc/hosts file.

Now my client is a Ubuntu 6.06 machine and it has the same hostname, but it
doesn't get the ip I've assigned. What's different about how Linux does a
DHCP request that causes this and how can I fix it so that it works?

Note the hostname command in Ubuntu gives the proper hostname but the hostname
-f command returns localhost. I tried to adjust this but some X and other
networking stuff stopped working.

The contents of the hosts file on my Ubuntu client are:

127.0.0.1 localhost bailey

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix