[Dnsmasq-discuss] Nonroot problem

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Aug 11 10:04:17 BST 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Edson wrote:

> I just coimpile the 2.33 version on my SuSE 9.0 box and it runs ok... as

You shouldn't be using SUSE 9.0 for networked computers,
SUSE 9.0 has been unsupported for many months now.

> root. but when I try to use the parameters '-u' and '-g' to change the
> execution to 'dnsmasq' user and 'dnsmasq' group, that I created to run this
> software peace, I see the message "failed to access /etc/ppp/resolv.conf:
> Permission denied" on syslog.

So either run dnsmasq in the dialout group or adjust the permissions so
that the dnsmasq user can execute /etc/ppp and read the file.

> When I start a command line execution with "dnsmasq -u dnsmasq -g dnsmasq -x
> /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid" the message appears on syslog, but if I
> execute "dnsmasq -u dnsmasq -g dnsmasq -x /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -d"
> (note the "-d") it works.

Try: man dnsmasq

> Is this a knowing behavior or a bug? What am I doing wrong?

It is even documented behavior and certainly not a bug.

--
Matthias Andree