[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: ISC leasefile removal

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Oct 21 10:23:52 BST 2006

Gilles Espinasse wrote:
> [...]

It can be left in place whilst you are still using it.

Have you condidered using the dnsmasq built-in DHCP server instead of
the ISC one? I took a look at your documentation, and the only thing I
can see which would not work out of the box is enable/disable BOOTP.
Dnsmasq will always honour BOOTP requests from hosts with
fixed-addresses, it has to be enabled with a flag for dynamic address
allocation. It would be trivial to add another flag to disable it
completely.

The dnsmasq DHCP server is pretty mature now: most of the *wrt distros
are using it, for instance, which is a similar application to IPcop.