[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to use dnsmasq as a dhcp server only

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 17:48:49 BST 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 11:30, Claudio Roberto Cussuol wrote:
> > It's easier and more flexible to use dnsmasq for authoritative DNS.
>
> Is it possible?????
> It would be great.
>
> But, I've read in dnsmasq site it is only a dns forwarder and it
> would not support the authoritative mode.

Sure, it's authoritative. Anything in /etc/hosts (or your designated
file[s]) will be served as authoritative data. Furthermore you get
reverse lookups included at no additional charge! :) That is *much*
more difficult to do in BIND.

> >> Is there any option to disable the dns cache and keep dnsmasq
> >> running as a dhcp server only?
> >
> > I don't know. But I set one up where BIND named is listening on
> > localhost:35, and dnsmasq uses that for recursion. Works quite
> > well.
>
> Yes, i tried this and it works.
> But i still would like to use something simpler.
> Using only one dns service.

Think of it in djbdns terms. DJB makes the point that recursion is a
different job than authoritative name service, so he implemented them
as separate daemons: dnscache and tinydns respectively. Furthermore,
even BIND people (which I am one, sort of) will recommend keeping the
functions separate, at least with views, if not using separate
processes (or machines) altogether.

IWFM, and I'm happy with it.