[Dnsmasq-discuss] ip for domain

Kazimierz Pogoda morisil at ncdc.pl
Wed Nov 15 13:35:24 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 08:00 -0600, Jima wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Kazimierz Pogoda wrote:
> > How can I force dnsmasq to reply to following DNS query:
> >
> > # host foo-domain
> > Host foo-domain not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
>   Unless I'm missing something (and I'm doing this on one of mynetworks),
> can't you just put this in /etc/hosts?
>
> 192.168.0.42  somename foo-domain

Maybe I'm missing something, but this way:

# host somename.foo-domain

returns 192.168.0.42

But I want:

# host foo-domain

to return 192.168.0.42

Of course i can add:

192.168.0.42    foo-domain.foo-domain foo-domain

To /etc/hosts, but it's not what I want. I want to have IP assigned to
whole domain not for host with the same name as domain name.

Let's imagine that dnsmasq is set as public DNS for somecompany.com
domain. I know how to set it up, to respond for every subdomain
name-to-ip request (www.somecompany.com, ftp.somecompany.com, etc.), but
I don't know how to set it to return IP for somecompmny.com domain
itself.

--
"Meaning is differential not referential"

Kazimierz Pogoda
Nordic Consulting & Development Company         http://www.ncdc.pl/