[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS-SD compatibility

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Nov 27 07:43:09 GMT 2006

from_dnsmasq-discuss.zen.ssokolow at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> What is the general level of compatibility between dnsmasq and the
> unicast DNS support in the DNS-SD spec?
>
> It seems to indicate that, for proper control of the browsing domain,
> a special PTR record needs to be defined, but I don't see any option
> to publish such a record in dnsmasq 2.33 (The current newest version
> in FreeBSD ports)

There is currently no support for this: the best that can be done is to
forward such requests to another nameserver. This might be the best
solution: DNS-SD appears to be a way of exporting structured data as a
set of DNS records, and a utility which can be configured using the
stuctured data, rather than the resulting raw DNS records, would be good.

On the other hand, there is already support for SRV and TXT records in
dnsmasq: adding support for arbitrary PTR records would not be hard, if
that solves the problem.