[Dnsmasq-discuss] Any plans on adding ability to store cachetodisk?

gypsy gypsy at iswest.com
Sun Dec 3 06:55:34 GMT 2006

"Eric S. Johansson" wrote:

> gypsy wrote:
> > Simon Kelley wrote:
> >> Use the FAQ, Luke!
> >>
> >> (Short answer: no.)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Simon.
> >
> > True, and that _really_ BLOWS CHUNKS.  Someone should add this to
> > DNSMasq!  It is idiotic that such a basic feature is missing.
>
> you have the code and the itch.  so scratch your itch and I'm looking
> forward to trying your solution.
>
> --- eric

Long ago, my workaround was posted to this list.  You can still download
a script from ftp://yesican.chsoft.biz/pub/DNSmasqRebuildCache.sh
You'll see djbDNS programs, which admittedly slant my perspective <g>.
One of our servers runs djbDNS just to serve DNSMasq, supplementing a
handful of other DNS servers in the area - including one from our ISP.
DNSMasq sends about 10% of its forwards to our djbDNS server.

If Simon is offended, then so be it, but I mean no offense.  I just fail
to see how a save to/restore from disk could bloat the code;
save/restore IS a basic feature.  TTL will expire out any crap
naturally.
--
gypsy