[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPCop-specific question

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jan 19 20:22:53 GMT 2007

AJ Weber wrote:
> I'm trying to tune-up my IPCop firewall, and I'm noticing that dnsmasq
> is running -- without much of a set of options.  Also, dhcpd is
> running...and I GUESS it's actually doing the dhcp work.
>
> OK, I guess, but I can't figure out how dnsmasq is pointed to the leases
> file for dhcpd and doesn't have a problem with that?  Also, I don't see
> any config/parameters telling dnsmasq NOT to act as dhcp server, so how
> is it NOT having any problems with this config???
>
> Has anyone looked at this before?

If --dhcp-leasefile is set, but no --dhcp-range is set then dnsmasq runs
in a mode where it doesn't do DHCP, but it parses a dhcpd-format lease
file just to find the names and addresses of hosts.

This is backward-compatible to dnsmasq version 1: it's code I've been
trying to remove for years, but IPcop is still holding out by using it.
The standard dnsmasq releases and most distro packages don't compile-in
the facility, you have to edit the config  file and rebuild to get it.