[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq with Gigantic hosts file

Jason jason.wallace at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 27 23:57:06 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I'm considering replacing squidguard, a filtering redirector for the
squid cache proxy, with a BIG hosts file and dnsmasq (716,093
entries!).  Currently, my network serves less than 10 clients(dns only,
no dhcp), but may reach 200 in the next few years.  Will this work.
It'd be nice to consolidate the functions and have the option to
shutdown the squid cache.  Also, squidguard can block a specific url
inside a domain, ie, www.goodsite.com/badarea/badstuff.html.  Can
dnsmasq emulate this?  I know this is outside the design intent of
dnsmasq, but it's not a bad application.

Jason