[Dnsmasq-discuss] Pointers for Local DNS?

Jon jondwatson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 22:24:13 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been covered in great detail already, but despite crawling
through the mailing list and reading the FAQ, I can't get it work work.

If I understand correctly, DNSMasq is capable of returning entries in
/etc/hosts for DNS queries. I'd like to put the names and IPs of a few
virtual machines on my network into my /etc/hosts file and have my Windows
clients be able to access them by those names.

Try as I might, I cannot get it to work. I must be missing something quite
obvious.

A sample /etc/hosts entry that I'm using simply looks like this:

10.0.50.41 mapmachine

I then restart DNSMasq and I see from the syslog that it reads the
/etc/hosts file. I then re-acquire an IP address on the Windows Client
(served from a DHCP server located on the same box as DNSMasq, but DNSMasq
is not the DHCP server) and attempt to ping, nslookup, and dig the names.
Requests time out and nslookup shows that the requests are being sent up the
my ISPs nameservers.

While I don't expect anyone to hand hold me on an issue that has likely been
solved numerous times, I'm hoping that someone will point me in the right
direction.

Thanks!

Jon