[Dnsmasq-discuss] Two dnsmasq servers connected by a VPN

Pedro Côrte-Real pedro at pedrocr.net
Fri Feb 2 12:59:44 GMT 2007

I have a VPN permanently connected between two sites. It's a routed
one, so each network has its own subnet. There's a dnsmasq server on
each side doing DNS and DHCP. The problem is that I want laptops to
have the same network name independent of which side they're in. I
have two main options:

- Make the VPN bridged and have both sides use the same subnet. I
would then still run two dnsmasq servers (so that when the VPN is down
both sides still get DNS/DHCP) but since the laptop IP's are the same
on both sides it just works. I'd have to block DHCP packets on the
firewalls so that on each side the remote server doesn't respond as
well.

- Maintain the current routed VPN and the laptops get different IP's
on the two sides. Have dnsmasq somehow point DNS to the other side's
IP when the laptop isn't registered using DHCP. Is there any way to do
this?

This is probably not possible and I'll have to use bridging. I was
avoiding that because of performance concerns.

Thanks,

Pedro.