[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolver options

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Tue Feb 6 16:58:09 GMT 2007

If I use a "different" resolv.conf file (i.e. I use a resolv-file=/etc/resolv.dnsmasq), will an "option" have the same effect it normally would?

For example, I'm considering changing timeout to 2 (instead of the default of 5), because I've had some issues with my ISP's DNS servers recently and don't want to wait too long for the timeout.  With the broadband connection, any of the nameservers in my list consistenly returns in < 1 sec (when they're up, of course).

Will this have the desired effect?  Any comments or concerns with that change in general?  Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the "options timeout:" ?

ALSO...(DIFFERENT TOPIC) : Is there no way to tell dnsmasq to dump it's current lease-info to a file that could be read on restart so it knows about all outstanding DHCP leases?  It's rare that I have to restart dnsmasq or the linux box it's on, but when I do, it forces me to restart a lot of client machines in case I'd get a dhcp/IP address mix-up (where dnsmasq doesn't know an IP Address is already leased to a running client, and a new client requests a lease so it hands-out the same address).

Thanks in advance,
AJ